Dog Walks – Not Just A Stroll In The Park

“Rain or shine, sleet or snow” doesn’t just describe the perseverance of the mailman â€" it represents that hearty group of dog walkers who are out and about from dawn to dusk every morning and evening, their bulging pockets stuffed with yummy dog treats and those telltale plastic baggies. I’m a bit shaky on my neighbors’ names down the road, but I must know every dog’s name for blocks on end.

In addition, I’m sure I’ve met as many people as I have simply because of my routine with my Australian shepherd, Jesse. Who needs a cup of coffee in the morning when there’s fresh air, sticks to throw, and conversation with like-minded folks? I’ve gradually become friends, sharing ups and downs, with my fellow dog lovers, as we stand together throwing balls and Frisbees in the early morning mist.

Jesse and I look forward to meeting several other friendly dogs along our walks. Cody, a black lab, and Cory, a yellow lab, have a perfect temperament match and love to romp their whole way around the park, while their guardians visit. There’s tiny Lilly, an apricot poodle mix, who was rescued from the Humane Society. She is the happiest dog I’ve ever seen â€" bouncing and running circles around her Mom.

One evening it was approaching darkness when I finally got a chance to take Jesse out for his evening stroll. The walking trails of the nature park in back of our house are our favorite. The numerous fir trees and enticing scents of the woods lend a delicious feeling of freedom as we walk. After living in our neighborhood for 14 years, I know the trails like the back of my hand. It was a good thing I took my flashlight along that evening, however, because the last bit of light was fading fast. Suddenly out of nowhere came what appeared to be two red lights coming directly toward us at a furious pace. Fortunately a few days before, my neighbor told me about Zeke’s and Truman’s new night-time collars. Two waist high powerful Doberman pinschers were at my side in a flash with their usual friendly sniffs and wags. I laughed at my own bit of panic, realizing two of my favorite dogs were showering me with a generous night-time greeting.

The dog walking clan of the neighborhood has become a close-knit bunch. Fresh air and friends of every description; it doesn’t get any better than that.

Connie Bowen - EzineArticles Expert Author

© Connie Bowen

Note: this article may be re-published freely as long as the following resource box is included at the end of the article and as long as you link to the URL mentioned in the resource box:

Pet Portrait Artist, and Professional Illustrator Connie Bowen creates stunning pet portrait paintings on canvas from photos. Specializing in capturing the spiritual nature of dogs, cats, horses and other animals in a realistic fashion with impressionistic backgrounds as seen on Oregon Public Broadcasting’s TV show, Art Beat. Over 200 pet portraits completed and counting! Visit http://www.conniebowen.com to view exquisite samples.