Dog Training - Activities You Should Never Do With Your Dog

Have you ever noticed that someone is always telling you that you can't do the things that you like to do with your dog?

For instance, ever since I began my career as a dog trainer every one has told me that I should never, under any circumstances, play tug-o-war with my dogs.

I was also always told to never, ever allow my dogs to sleep on the bed with me...and to never, ever feed my dogs "people food."

I could go on and on with a long list of things that we should "never" do with our dogs. Here's the funny thing, in my 18+ years of dog training, I have found that playing tug-o-war with your dog is a good thing.

Letting your dog sleep on the bed with you is not going to turn him into a blood sucking vampire. Feeding him "people food" will in many cases make him healthier.

What you have to know is this. Each dog is different. Each household is different. If your dog understands that you are in charge and that it's your bed, there is no problem letting him sleep on it.

In my house, I allow my dogs on the couch and on my bed. They clearly understand that I am the one in charge. If I walk into a room and tell them "OFF," they immediately jump off the couch.

They don't resist. They don't defend the couch. They follow my commands. If my dogs did growl or defend the couch, they would lose that privilege.

When a pup comes into my house, I usually leave a leash on him to drag around. The leash allows me to have a little more control than if the leash was off.

How many times has your pup stolen something and ran away, only to have you chasing him around the coffee table, behind the couch, and up the stairs?

A leash can prevent all of this. Simply step on the leash and end the chase game. The same holds true when teaching your dog the word "OFF."

The easiest way is to walk up to your dog and give the command "OFF." When he ignores you, pick up the leash and give it a quick tug.

Repeat until he gets off the couch with out you touching the leash. As long as your dog understands the word "OFF," you won't have a problem.